<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6199963\x26blogName\x3dBaseball+Zeitgeist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://baseballzeitgeist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://baseballzeitgeist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7986498153022034497', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Finally, the Wound is Healed

It has been 26 years for me, since that chilly day at the Fens when a wound was opened - raw and searing. It wasn't really the Dent HR that got to me that day. I was just to the 3B side of home plate, a dozen or so rows back - which means I could clearly see the face of a LH batter at the plate. And I did.
I was a chilly day as I recall, but sunny - one of those cold, clear fall afternoons when the sun goes down very quickly. I was dressed warmly in an old Army fatigue jacket and gloves, a sweater, and heavy sox (not red, BTW). It was the last time I would go to Fenway for several years.
The loss hurt, but what hurt the most that day was the Look; the awful, pained Look on Yaz' face when he popped up to third to end the game. He had been my favorite player as a boy growing up; I was too young to recall Teddy Ballgame. I will remember that terribly hurt expression all of my days. And over the years, nothing has been able to salve that wound - nothing.
Now, it is healed. The scar is till there, but it no longer hurts. It is now something that just happened.
Thanks boys.
Time to do some bird hunting.