Baseball Zeitgeist: Hey Babe – Stars on the Horizon!
Hey Babe – Stars on the Horizon!
Had a chance to watch the Central Mass. Senior Babe Ruth All-Star Game this week, here’s a look at talent standouts:
- Jeff Tardiff, RHP, Framingham: a big, strong kid; has command of several pitches including a good fastball and a big, slow curve he throws for strikes; very aware of the field around him. Got fooled in AB though - on breaking balls.
- Dan Rudzinsky – 1B/P, Marlborough - stocky and not tall, but nicely turned a 3-6-3 DP while at first; has good throwing arm; in an AB slammed an opposite field gapper for 3RBI. He was called out at third trying to stretch the double into a triple, but it was the 3B coach’s fault not Dan’s. In the next AB, he earned a BB with an eight or nine pitch AB, fouling off several. Dan also pitched an inning, gave up a BB and a little flare for a single, but he looked sharp with good velocity. This Kid is a Player.
- Chris Vine, Milford, OF-1B; lefty batter - good plate presence, nicely controlled swing with power, aggressive.
- Matt Perry, SS/2B/P, Sudbury; good command of the strike zone on the mound; drove a 3 up and down including a K and two weak ground ball outs. Bats L, and beat out infield grounder, so has some speed.
- Jamie Thorndike, SS, Dover-Sherborn; nice moves at SS, good range.
- Mike Russell, IF, Bellingham; Web gem – from the SS position, a hot grounder on a very bad hop came to him, deflected the ball with his body as a backboard towards toe second baseman, to get a force 2nd. Nice play!!
- More: www.eteamz.com/cmsbr
[Disclosure: I know none of these players, their parents, or anyone in the league. Just an observer.]