Have you cruised Comcast CN8 lately? As they did last season, the new New England cable company has a great schedule of televised northeast-based minor league ball games – it calls “Next Generation Baseball” - from the AA Eastern League and the AAA International League. This past weekend the network broadcast the Saturday contest between the PawSox and the Red Barons and the Sunday game from Reading between the Phillies and the NH Fisher Cats.
These televised games give fans a great way to see ballparks around these leagues, and sample good minor league ball. Familiar Touch for Red Sox fans: Working the Eastern League games and for the Pawtucket Red Sox broadcasts for CN8 is former Red Sox catcher and color commentator Bob Montgomery. CN8’s announcing team is anchored by up-and-coming talent Dave Popkin doing play-by-play for CN8’s AA Eastern League tilts. Popkin has done games for the Iowa Cubs, El Paso Diablos, and others. CN8’s Ed Berliner, host of CN8 New England’s “Sports Pulse,” will provide additional commentary for the Pawtucket broadcasts.
From Comcasts’ web site, a note on their programming: CN8's Minor League coverage features seven teams from the Eastern, Carolina, and South Atlantic Leagues across Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. Eastern League teams include the Trenton Thunder, Reading Phillies, Bowie Baysox, and the Harrisburg Senators.
Comcast kindly sent me their broadcast schedule, which I reproduce below:
Eastern League (AA)
- Sun., May 16, 1:00pm, Norwich @ Harrisburg
- Sat, May 29, 7:00pm, Bowie @ Reading
- Sun, May 30, 1:00pm, Portland @ New Hampshire
- Sat, June 5, 6:30pm, Binghamton @ New Britain
- Sun, June 20, 1:00pm, Trenton @ New Hampshire
- Sat, June 26, 6:00pm, Reading @ Harrisburg
- Sat, July 3, 7:00pm, Trenton @ New Britain
- Sat, July 10, 7:00pm, New Britain @ Reading
- Wed, July 14, 7:00pm, Eastern League All Star Game
- Sat, July 17, 6:00pm, New Hampshire @ Harrisburg
- Sat, July 31, 7:00pm, Norwich @ Trenton
- Sat, Aug 14, 7:00pm, New Britain @ Trenton
- Sat, Aug 28, 7:00pm, Binghamton @ Trenton
Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA International League)
- Sat., May 8, 6:00pm, Scranton @ Pawtucket
- Sat, June 19, 6:00pm, Norfolk @ Pawtucket
- Sunday, July 4, 6:00pm, Toledo @ Pawtucket
- Tue, Aug 3, 12:00pm, Columbus @ Pawtucket
- Mon, Sep 6, 1:00pm, Scranton @ Pawtucket